5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

This recipe has moved! Visit Jaybird Blog for this easy 5-minute Paleo Chocolate Mug Cake recipe and many other Humble Foodie classics.

About Humble Foodie

While we both love to eat well, life as AmeriCorps volunteers doesn’t afford us the budget to try every new restaurant and type of cuisine. With many post-graduate expenses and limited financial resources, what’s a foodie to do? The answer is here, at The Humble Foodie. Instead of spending our hard-earned cash paying other people to cook for us, we’re spending as frugally as possible making delicious meals at home.
This entry was posted in Alicia, Desserts, Paleo/Primal and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to 5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

1. Just got all of my ingredients for this! Except the almond butter. I’m trying to be thrifty and stuff, so I’m thinking of using stuff I already have like peanut butter or Nutella. Outside of altering the taste, will that cause any problems? (Thanks for humoring my inevitable questions, Alicia!)

• I think peanut butter would definitely work–I don’t notice much of an almond taste in these cakes, and PB should yield a similar consistency. Let me know how it turns out!

2. Jazz Glastra says:

Simply the best. I used peanut butter, bc I didn’t have almond butter on hand. I like the little crunchy peanut bits from my chunky peanut butter. Jeremy and I split one for breakfast this morning…nothing like dessert for breakfast!

3. emily says:

Banana generally acts as an egg replacer, so I’m mulling over what to use to make this vegan-friendly. I think maybe a bit more banana and maybe some applesauce? I tried to make it tonight but didn’t have enough almond butter/bananas to really play around with it, but I’ll see if I can figure it out!

• Let me know what you come up with! I’ve made this cake with applesauce replacing the banana, but I have not tried an egg replacement. Maybe you could skip the egg but increase the amount of almond butter. What are other good binders in vegan recipes?

• emily says:

I tried using more peanut butter (all i had left) when I made it last night, and that made a slightly thicker, fluffier, less “together” cake. It was still delicious, though. Applesauce + banana + microwave didn’t do what I expected. I was trying to add too much moisture, I think. It’s funny, because applesauce can act as an egg if you add some baking powder. Who knows? Ground flax seed is a pretty good binding agent, and pureed pumpkin or squash can be good, too. Corn starch is an okay backup, but I try to steer clear of that or any of the boxed egg replacers on the market. I’ll keep playing with this though, since I think I’ll be making it pretty often…

• Good to know re: binders. I hope you figure out a perfect vegan recipe and I can’t wait to hear about it! Or to see evidence when we finally get to visit each other. :-)

4. sunnyelirose says:

Yum…Do you deliver?

5. Pingback: Pots de Creme with Coconut Milk Whipped Cream | The Humble Foodie

6. Carolyn says:

If not using a microwave, what temperature and for how long would you bake it in the oven? Microwaves aren’t that healthy as they change the molecular structure of the food which isn’t very nutritionally cell friendly to the body. You can replace the egg with a tablespoon of ground chia seeds :)

• Hi Carolyn,
      I haven’t tried making them in the oven, but I’d start by trying 350 degrees F and try cooking in a big oven-safe mug for 15 minutes, or in two smaller dishes like ramekins or petites cocottes for 10 minutes. Test with a toothpick as you would a normal pan of brownies. When perfectly done, these still look glossy on the top but are no longer full of battery in the middle. Let us know what works!
      Alicia

7. Pingback: Spicy Green Skillet for Breakfast, Brunch, or Brinner | Humble Foodie

8. …and totally making this tonight. That sort of Tuesday over here :)

9. Pingback: Pots de Creme with Coconut Milk Whipped Cream | The Karina Chronicles

10. Pingback: Spicy Green Skillet for Breakfast, Brunch, or Brinner | The Karina Chronicles

11. Kelly says:

This was super delicious!! I added more honey and just divine! I need to make some cupcakes and I want to try this recipe. I’ll be baking them in the oven, so do you think I’ll need to add baking soda or powder?

12. Kelly says:

This looks really good! and I can not wait to try this!.

Comments are closed.